Thursday, July 21, 2005

Euphausia Superba

Hi all. I don't know how many of you have bothered to click on the "Antartic Krill" link to the right...so I thought I show you what you'd find.

From the web page about them: "special: some scientists describe Euphausia superba as the once most abundant multicellular species of the planet - some scientists describe Euphausia superba as one of the most flexible of our planet - some describe Euphausia superba as the most physiologically dynamic - some as a most interestingly designed - a famous scientist as "of almost extraterrestrial appearance, endowed with magical powers ", another: "The high importance of lowly krill"- and most of those few humans who were lucky to observe Euphausia superba alive, under water, lights still on, with the right optics, as utmost beautiful and fascinating."


Euphausia Superba. Aptly named. Posted by Picasa

I believe I found these by doing a search on Bioluminescence, but the website doesn't confirm if they're bioluminescent or not.

Still, bioluminescence has to be one of the coolest things on earth.

Though I would say, tied with some cephalopods' ability to shift color and irridescence. See my "Links I like" section to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment