Thursday, July 21, 2005

Also in my Links I Like section...

"How to Hawaiianize your name:
There are two ways to determine the Hawaiian equivalent of your name. The first is to determine the meaning of your name and then obtain the Hawaiian word for that meaning. The second, and the most common, is by the process of transliteration -- that is, to replace the letters in the English name with Hawaiian letters. This is not so easy since, as noted above, Hawaiian only has twelve letters.

So here is the formula:
Replace B, F, P with P
Replace C, D, G, J, K, Q, S, T, X, Z with K
Replace H with H
Replace N with N
Replace L, R with L
Replace V, W with W
Replace Y with I

Vowels remain the same. Also be sure to separate all consonants with a vowel. For example, Barbara would be PALAPALA because there must be a vowel between the "r" and "b" in Barbara."
This makes me Elike, pronounced Ay-Lee-Kay. If I go by translation, Elise is a derivative of Elizabeth, which is from the Greek Elisabet from the Hebrew Elisheba, which means "my God is an oath" or "my God is Abundant."
Translated into Hawaiian, Abundant God = Nui Akua, and God Oath = Akua Ho'Ohiki.
What's your Hawaiian name? Add it to the comments.
C'mon people, a little more audience participation, hmmmm?

1 comment:

  1. Replacement method = Kakak

    That doesn't really work for me.

    Meaning method: We go back to my given name, John, and find it means "God is gracious" or "God is merciful." Since we know God is Akua, we look for grace and mercy; both translate to the same thing - aloha.

    So I'm Akua Aloha. I very much like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete