Thursday, July 03, 2003

So the first thing to tell you is that there were absolutely no personal injuries whatsoever. The second thing to tell you is that the preceding sentence is there because I got in an accident today. And the third thing to tell you is that my car is not badly hurt, and to reiterate, neither am I or the other driver.

I went to the Dept of Parking and Traffic today to get my temporary parking permit, and I got it with no hitches and no waiting in line, since I went a half an hour before they opened and was the first in line. So I left, but turned the wrong direction, away from the street I needed to get to, to get home. So I came to an intersection where I could turn left (so I could go around the block and reorient myself in the right direction), but there was also a soft left to get on the freeway, and one lane going straight. And I panicked and waited for the traffic in the "hard" left lanes to clear so I could make the hard left from the soft left lane. And then I did. And then there was someone I didn't see, who hit me solidly in the left rear wheel. And that tore her bumper off, and remarkably, only hurt my left rear wheel -- it didn't even scratch the exterior casing. (Although, it did wrinkle the casing inside behind the wheel, which is attached to that whole rear quarter paneling, so they're going to have to take the bumper off and straighten that out.) I had mostly completed the turn at that point and everybody else was out of the way, so we were both able to pull over with no repercussory damage or danger.

She was young (27) and shaking and we both apologized and exchanged info. Her friend from work happened to be driving by a minute later and stopped and helped her reattach her bumper (he had bumper stickers for the magazine they work for -- "Juxtapoz" -- which they used to tape her bumper up so she could get to work. He then stuck one on my rear window. I figured it was a fair recompense for what had happened, which is a pretty funny way to take advantage of a situation. But I figure as well that it will always remind me to chill out on the road -- false panic is worse than getting lost.) I called USAA right away. I'm pretty sure I'm at fault so I'm pretty sure my rates are going to go up. But it was only a matter of time -- I am, of course, a country Bambi in a big city. And I'd never been in an accident before. So the law of averages sharpened its teeth on those factors. USAA was really helpful; they gave me a place to call near where I live. (I also, after the claim, changed my insurance to CA insurance. So I am one step closer to being able to register my car.) The tow truck driver came remarkably fast -- literally, within 5 minutes -- and told me that the intersection where this happened is infamous locally for accidents. Which made me feel a little bit better. He was also from Grenich, CT, even, though he moved when he was 8. (He loves the city, he gave me the low-down on how to find my way around and other insider tips.) He also told me that USAA is the best insurance out there and never to lose it, and that the auto place he was taking me to was definitely top 10 in the city, maybe even top 5. And he was right, because they were all remarkably nice, too. They even gave me a ride home even though there's a convenient bus route that goes from there to here.

They guesstimated it to be around $1700.00; my deductible is $500.00 (and I do have that, so don't worry). But it's going to take some time. At least 24 hours before USAA gets the forms to them, then they have to send an estimate and have me come approve it, then they have to get the parts from Subaru, and then it will take 5-7 days after that. So it could take up to 2 weeks. They guarantee their work for life, though, which is nice. Not having a car in the city is also no big deal, because 3 of my friends (one of which is my roommate) have cars and there's great public transportation anyway. But I am kicking myself for that dumb onslaught of panic, for that sense of "no one's watching" and the results. I suppose it's not very bad as reality checks go -- no injuries, no major damage, with the benefit of being humbled on the road and remembering not to sweat the small stuff. And that added motivation to get a job fast.

I am exhausted and tremulous, so I'm going to go. But that's the news on my second day here in San Francisco. Drive safely...

No comments:

Post a Comment