Thursday, May 27, 2004

Hey guys -- sorry for long time no update. I've been combatting a head cold since last weekend. I've also been super busy at work. This combination not only means that the cold stays put on a minimum level, but that my communication has been lacking as well. If nothing else, my health insurance kicks in on Tuesday -- AT LAST! -- and I can see a doc then.

I'm still loving my job.

Okay, this struck me as funny. A little background first. My brother joined Big Brothers Big Sisters a year ago, maybe two, and his contributions to his little brother's life and happiness have been such that he is up for an award -- Big Brother of the Year -- to be given to him by the Governor of Virginia. While I am proud of this accomplishment, I definitely had to call him up and give him some flack. You see, when my mom sent an email entitled "FRED HOUSE -- BIG BROTHER OF THE YEAR," I'm thinking, "um, says who?" Fred is indeed a wonderful, caring, considerate, consistent big brother to any kid -- he's great with kids -- of the non-sibling variety. Which is not to deny him this award, because he is great with kids, and he's great with siblings of the adult variety. But in my humble experience, Fred and siblinghood below the age of, say, 20 years, do not mix well.

Fred informed me that he'd been saving it all up for the kind of siblinghood you can actually get awards for. To which I replied, at least you got it right once in your life, bucko. The conversation then devolved in to taunting, raspberries, and cellular hair-pulling, so I'll spare you the rest, but all of this is to say, next time I call first right of "best/worst" designation. I'll be sure to let the Governor know.

No comments:

Post a Comment