Sunday, January 04, 2004

I received word this weekend that we're going back to Auburn this week to do follow up stuff. This doesn't really change much for all of you, who can still call and reach me through the magic of cell phones, but it's a very odd feeling -- a sense of premature exhaustion, and a kind of remorse to be leaving the city again, just as I was getting in to it. This last week has been suffused with the thrill of constant plans, staying up late with the help of all the 24 hour food places, driving across the bay, friends coming and going...and suddenly all the people with whom I re-bonded I have to leave again, and the well-worn suitcase that I thought I was putting aside indefinitely is now being tugged out again. Only for a week, I know, can the melodrama. I guess it's kinda like that first time you go back to visit high school after you graduate -- it's something you intentionally put behind you, having found it both boring and wonderful, and now you're going back...

Anyway, today a bunch of us went to see Big Fish -- go see it go see it go see it. It's whimsical and simple and sweet, it deals with itself nicely if not neatly, it's dessert for the eyes, and also enormously comforting on the subject of death. Trust me, you won't be let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment