Thursday, September 25, 2003

So, the whole internet updating thing is trickier than I thought. The connection in the hotel is "wireless," which although it sounds cool, actually means that it goes slower than dial-up! I tried to sign on to this Tuesday night and couldn't even get the sign-in page to load after about 20 minutes of waiting patiently.

That said, the computer we use at work for data-entry works well, but obviously, we are using it most of the time. I happen to be the data-enterer today and since this is my 15 minute break, I get to partake.

What this info translates to is that I can't promise updates in any consistent way. Some weeks I may be able to update, some weeks I may not. Thank you for your patience.

Everything is going well: my team, as projected, is awesome. We are also goofy, witty and brilliant. In the space of 4 days we've come up with about 35 billion inside jokes. We have a list of the greatest names we've come across in the files (interestingly enough, though I did this on my road trip, they came up with it independently of me. In case you're curious, the names are: Mr. Killingsworth, Volcanoville, Lawrence Root, Hillish Rock Road, LoneTree & Blue Oaks Road, and Darryl Sniff), we have lists of all the silly things we've said, and we've drawn some great personifications of things we've come across.

I found out on the drive out here though -- I AM SURROUNDED BY WATER SIGNS. 2 Scorpios (agh!), a Cancer, and a Pisces. So far though, I have not experienced the dreaded interpersonal problems one would expect from being surrounded by a bunch of emotional, crazy water signs. Perhaps I will have to give up a now-outdated conception of what water signs are like. (One of the Scorpios, in hearing my concern about them all being water signs, immediately pointed out that as a Gemini I'm schizophrenic. I am so not. Yes I am. No I'm not. Am to. Are not. Har har har. Anyway...)
We'll see...one of my team members also noticed that the 4 of us temps fill out the Scooby Doo team profiles almost perfectly: One of us is bearded and loosely locked (Shaggy), one of us is blond and built (Fred), the other girl has short hair and wears glasses (Velma) and I, being a tall blond, am supposedly Daphne (YES! After being a Velma nearly all of my life, I have finally achieved Daphne status...). Our team lead, however, is not really Scooby -- she decided she's more of a Scrappy Doo. So most of our spare time is spent trying to figure out just what the mystery is and who's behind it. ;0)

Last but not least, Auburn is a lovely little town (it has an "old town" section that is very Jackson Hole/Gold Rushy/Store Fronty. But it's pretty small) and our hotel has a pool and a hot tub (both of which I use every day) AND is located 500 feet from In N' Out. We also have a Marie Calender's built into the hotel. Yay!

The momentum is gathering. Though I miss my friends in SF, conditions are ideal and everything is going smoothly. Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment