Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The ultimate in armchair ornithology

Click here to see the live-Falcon camera up on top of San Jose City Hall: Swoon!

Today I saw:

*Mom and Pop both falling asleep and startling awake depending on the chicks' activity
*Pop shredding a small bird and feeding the chicks
*Pop resting on his very fuzzy brood
*Pop pacing to and from the nest (to stretch legs?) and checking out his surroundings
*Pop taking a quick flight (to stretch wings?) and coming right back
*Mom standing nearby to keep an eye on things

I'm assuming that the lone bird I saw today is the dad, but I might be wrong. I'm looking into it and the easiest way to tell the sexes apart is that the females are 15-20% bigger and usually have slightly darker markings on the belly, and I haven't seen them together frequently enough to be sure...

I'm also guessing that the young are only a couple days old, as the websites say they will separate from each other a bit in the nest after a few days, and right now they're still huddling together. In only a matter of a couple weeks, they'll be growing their feathers and flying!

All right here in sunny San Jose!

Falcon information found here.

Post-script, 5/2/07: Apparently 11am-12pm PDT is nap time for the falcons. Today is the second day I've found them dotingly dozing on the job during this time frame!

No comments:

Post a Comment